Saturday, October 13, 2012

On Female-Fronted European Rock Bands


Okay, so, as some people reading this may or may not know, I am going to do an informative speech on Tuesday. My speech topic was how popular these three bands are:
Within Temptation, Nightwish, and UnSun.
To less cultured people out there, those are all female-fronted European rock/metal bands.
Yes, I listen to all three.
So, I spent all of last Thursday going up to random people and asking them if they’d heard of any of those three bands.
The results are: 17 out of 100 people had heard of Nightwish.
12 out of 100 people had heard of Within Temptation.
And 11 out of 100 people had heard of UnSun.
And a whole lot of people had no idea what I was talking about.
But I was actually surprised that so many people had heard of UnSun.
Wait a minute, I know what you’re thinking: “But, Monica, only eleven out 100 people had heard of them. That’s not a lot.”
But actually, it is, considering that I expected less than five people to have heard of them.
Also, when you think about, 11 out of 100 is just over 10%.
The fact that just over 10% of people surveyed in a random college in Colorado had heard of a Polish band that can’t achieve success in it’s own country is quite inspiring, if you ask me.
I think I’m going to do something like this again sometime. Maybe with Broken Iris, Picture Me Broken, and some other band (I’ll have to think on it, though).
And, in hindsight, for this survey I really wish I’d asked people if they’d heard of Evanescence as well. Then I’d be able to compare the people who’d heard of the European bands to the people who’d heard of Evanescence. That would’ve been cool.
But, alas, I didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment