Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Burn for Burn Review

Description from goodreads:
BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.



MY REVIEW:


It’s not like I refuse to read contemporary books. Because I don’t. It’s just that I don’t read them as much as paranormal books. Or enjoy them as much.

When I started watching Pretty Little iars, I read the books so I could find out who A was. Then around season four I found out they were changing it anyway and stopped watching the series.
I read the Texting books by Lauren Myracle in sophomore year. To be honest, I don’t even remember if those books had a point or plot or anything.
I read Wintergirls and Hold Still and found them thought-provoking, but not enouht to want to buy them or reread them.
Contemporary books just don’t phase me the way paranormals or dystopias do.
But this one did.

The Characters: 9/10 (mostly because of Mary)
Kat: Kat was so tough-girl, I couldn’t not love her. You know, she was that girl who was dumped by her best friend for a better, cooer, prettier, richer friend (I can sympathize). In that situation, you have one option: you pretend not to care. Kat went tough-girl. I went soft-giggly-girl. Same reason, though.
Lillia: Eh.
Rennie: I don’t see how either Kat OR Lillia could have been friends with Rennie. She as so OBVIOUSLY self-centered…
Alex: I actually appreciate him as a character. I mean, he seems like a normal high-school boy. Crushing on Lillia, doing stuff with Kat… and I believe him about Nadia.
Reeve: I can’t see how anyone can NOT hate Reeve. I mean seriously. There’s only one word I can think of that describes him and it has three letters, starts with an A and ends with S…
I hope he turns out to have something which explains his behavior. I’d settle for psychopathy, but the authors can come up with something better, please do.
Mary: Oh, Mary. This is the character. See, Mary has this very intense thing going on, which I can’t explain without spoiling everything… but one of the things I found most interesting about her was her relationship with Reeve. I mean, at points, she did SEEM to hate him. With very good reason. If I’d been her, I’d’ve hated him 24/7. but at other times, she seemed to… Okay, I’m going to use a word here that I KNOW isn’t the right word, but I can’t think of a better one… worship him. It was very strange and inexplicable and intriguing. One of the best parts of the book, if you ask me.

(Who else thinks there’s something up with Aunt Bette?)

The Plot: 8/10
I liked the whole revenge plot. \the reasons behind the revenges were good too. The only revenge-and-reason combo I didn’t like was Kat and Rennie. The reason was cliché enough, plus the revenge they cooked up for Rennie anyway was lame, if you ask me. I mean, the Alex revenge was good, I liked that one. And the Reeve revenge was extreme, and you can never go wrong when you go extreme. But what hey did for Rennie? Eh. I didn’t like it. my first problem with it is that there would be no way for Rennie to tell that it was intentional, an act of REVENGE. It could have just been a coincidence, or the way the wind blew, it was something that COULD HAVE happened naturally. Ale wasabe to tell that what happened was intentional. He didn’t know WHO or WHY, but he knew it was something. Reeve would/will be able to tell that SOMEONE did something—did this—to HIM, for a reason. Rennie? There’s no intentionality on what they do to her, and I don’t like that.

Here I would usually rate the romance… except there really wasn’t one, and that’s okay. Not EVERY book needs to have a romance.

+2 extra credit points for being the most captivating contemporary I’ve ever read.

Overall grade: 19/20=95%=A

Great book. I immensely enjoyed it.





No comments:

Post a Comment