Sunday, November 3, 2013

Cleaning Out an Overfull Reading Plate (NaNo Day 3)



On October 31st, I was busy all day long. Went to school at 8 in the morning and I was in class until 1:20. then I worked in my college bookstore until about 4:00. Then I went into another class-sort-of-thing that lasted until 6:20. Then I got home at abut 6:40 and had about twenty minutes on the computer before I became busy being my family’s designated candy-hander-outer.
The point of that story was I had TWENTY minutes on the computer in the WHOLE of October 31st. After two minutes of debating with myself, I decided to cancel half of my holds at the library. (The ones I kept were the ones where I was 2nd or more on queue for the book)
Why did I cancel all those holds? I’d been waiting quite some time for some of them.
Well, I thought about it. I haven't been reading that much in October. (depending on your definition of reading much. I define it as finishing books, not just excessively reading a lot of books at the same time) 
I am currently reading six to seven books. Let’s see if I can find them all scattered about in my room and list them here:
                                                                               
The Baby-Sitters Club #1 by Anne M. Martin- one of my friends and I were talking, and I realized she hadn’t read the Animorphs, and she realized I hadn’t read the Baby-Sitters Club, so we exchanged. I’m not liking it much. I’m on page 35, and I’ve been reading it for about three days.
The Shadowhunter’s Codex by Cassandra Clare and Joshua Lewis- I’d had this preordered. As soon as it came in, I started reading it. I’m liking it so far. I’m on page 19, and I’ve been reading it for 4 days.
Bad Astronomy by Philip Plait- my astronomy teacher passed this book around one class, and I thought it was interesting, so I checked it out from the library. I’m finding it interesting. I’m on page 47, and I’ve been reading it for about 3 weeks.
Icons by Margaret Stohl- one of the Beautiful Creatures authors + science fiction. (I love science fiction).I got it from the library and started reading and was REALLY liking it. But then I just didn’t read it for three days, and now I’m finding it hard to find the motivation to pick it up. I’m on page 301, and I’ve been reading it for about two weeks.
No Plot, No Problem! by Chris Baty- I got this book in preparation for NaNoWriMo, and really enjoyed it. I HAVE ACTUALLY FINISHED THIS BOOK, but I’m keeping it around for NaNoWriMo and rereading bits of it as needed.
20 Master Plots and How to Build Them by Ronald B. Tobias- again, I got this for NaNoWriMo. I am not finding it near as interesting or enjoyable as No Plot, No Problem! however. I’m on page 37, and I’ve been reading it for about four days.
Joss Whedon: the Complete Companion by PopMatters- I am a Whedonite. This book made sense for me when I first checked it out, OVER SIX MONTHS AGO. I quickly realized that if I had not watched ALL of Joss Whedon’s series (Which, at the time, I hadn’t) I would be super spoiled. So I skipped the Angel section while I watched Angel, but I’ve since finished Angel and I’ve got two bookmarks in very different paces in this book, and I’m thinking it’s about time to give up.
ChangeOne the Diet and Fitness Plan by Readers Digest- my parents got me this book and told me to follow the diet in it. It’s actually an enjoyable read, and the diet’s not too bad. I’m on page 82, and I’ve been reading it for four or five weeks (I’m trying to read this one slowly though, because each chapter is a week of the diet, and I spent two weeks adjusting to the change made in chapter three, and right now I’m in chapter four)

So that’s actually eight books. All of the books have pages numbering in the triple-digits. For all but two (Icons and No Plot (which I’m counting because I am, actually finished with it) I’m still in the double-digits. I don’t like leaving books unfinished, but I need to clear some of these out.
((You may notice that not all of these are books are on my Goodreads page, and the ones that are have inaccurate pages. Goodreads is not a place I’m really updating often these days. Not reliable.))
Point is, I need to clear some of these books out of my reading diet, for the time being, if not forever.
After carefully looking at the list and weighing my options, I’ve decided to keep reading: ChangeOne, as that is an ongoing thing occurring in my life, Icons, because I’m in triple-digits man, No Plot, No Problem! because I’m just keeping that one around for reference during NaNoWriMo, and the Baby-Sitters Club, because I’m reading that one for a friend. The other four, Joss Whedon, Bad Astronomy, 20 Master Plots, and The Shadowhunter’s Codex are going back to the library (or my shelf, in the case of the Codex). I am certain I will one day continue Bad Astronomy and the Codex. I may check out 20 Master Plots in the future. But I’m done with the Joss Whedon book.

*Note: I will put up some more posts about reading during NaNoWriMo. Also, I wrote the post a day before I posted, so I’m further along in the Baby-Sitter’s Club at this point in time.

**Note: Since I am posting this very early in the day, I have not included how many words I’ve written today.

Monica, out.

By the way, Comment! Follow (I prefer bloglovin follows)! Follow me on Tumblr! Friend me on Goodreads! Buddy me on the NaNoWriMo site!

Links:
NaNoWriMo Profile: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/awesomemonica7

No comments:

Post a Comment