Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Book Trends: Stick to Your Guns

Within the past week and a half, I've read two books that got me thinking about something.

I Was Here by Gayle Forman saw main character, Cody, telling Ben the leading lad, that "I will never sleep with, or even in the vicinity of you."

And Master of Seduction by Kinley MacGregor's main character, Lorelei, pointedly challenged the titular character that "I will claim your heart before you claim my body."

Now, this may be a bit of a spoiler, but as one book is YA and the other is a romance novel, I feel it's safe for me to tell you that in both books the girls go back on their words and sleep with the boys.

In both books, by the point I got to where the characters slept together, I was all for it because I loved them together (and in the case of Master of Seduction, was the point of the book) but still, I have to wonder, would it have killed these girls to, you know, stick to their guns?

I'm addressing this more towards Lorelei than Cody, because, well, I wanted Cody and Ben together and if she stuck to her guns that wouldn't have happened at all.

But Lorelei was looking for Jack to tell her he loved her before she slept with him. That's not completely unreasonable, and while they did, in fact, end up being in love, she failed to secure that confirmation from him before sleeping with him.

Has anyone else noticed the same trend in books they've read? Or perhaps you have a good recommendation for a book in which the leading lady does stick to her guns? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment