Saturday, July 25, 2015

House of Night Discussion Series Part 2: Impressionable 17-Year-Old vs Less Impressionable Nearly-21-Year-Old



The last time I read this series was around four years ago. I was in high school, and I usually read a book a day. But that last time I read this series, I remember it dragging. I remember it being tedious and painful and more of a chore than anything else. I remember hating Zoey as a main character and lots of other things about the story. I remember all my friends saying how much they hated Zoey and other parts of the books (mainly, everyone hating Zoey). I remember doing anything, watching hours of TV, so I wouldn’t have to read this series. In the intervening years, I became involved with Goodreads and booktube and the online bookish community, and whenever I hear talk of this series, it’s mostly negative.
So, with the memory of my last experience reading this series, and with all the negativity surrounding it, I went into it this time just wanting to get it over with. I was going to finish this series, but I wasn’t going to like it.
However, reading this series analytically as an adult I find I’m enjoying it a lot more than I expected too. Nowadays I have a job that takes up a lot of my time and access to a computer which takes a good amount of the time I have left. Generally, it take me about half a week to read a book, yet I’m burning through this series. I started Marked (book 1) a week ago, and I’m now I’m Burned (book 7). This experience is so converse to the last time I read it, that I’m having fun, staying up late to read, choosing the turn away from my computer of TV. While I definitely don’t claim to have grown up too much, I do think I was much more impressionable four years ago than I am today.
What I’m saying is that I was much more impressionable the last time I read this series. Also, I knew a lot more people who’d read this series four years ago. This go ’round I only have one IRL person I can talk to about it.
I’ll see you soon with HoN Discussion Series Part 3: In Defense of Zoey Redbird
Monica.

No comments:

Post a Comment